Scoutles.com – Cooking merit badge that teaches you abilities to safely prepare a meal in any place. You’ll additionally discover appropriate nutrition, food storage, as well as various cooking strategies.
When I was a scout, making the Cooking merit badge educated me to promptly prepare much better food. When outdoor camping, no a lot more instantaneous ramen!
Ideally, this overview will instruct you on the abilities needed to gain your Cooking merit badge as well as produce great meals for your patrol.
Cooking Merit Badge Requirements
The Cooking merit badge is hefty on understanding needs, so be prepared. This badge will likely take a few weeks to finish. Put in the time to go through each of the lists below needs and totally comprehend what you’ll be discovering.
To finish this badge, you’ll require some cooking equipment.
1. Health and Safety, do the following
|A. Explain to your counselor the most likely hazards you may encounter while participating in cooking activities and what you should do to anticipate, help prevent, mitigate, and respond to these hazards.|
|B. Show that you know first aid for and how to prevent injuries or illnesses that could occur while preparing meals and eating, including burns and scalds, cuts, choking, and allergic reactions.|
|C. Describe how meat, fish, chicken, eggs, dairy products, and fresh vegetables should be stored, transported, and properly prepared for cooking. Explain how to prevent cross-contamination.|
|D. Discuss with your counselor food allergies, food intolerance, and food-related illnesses and diseases. Explain why someone who handles or prepares food needs to be aware of these concerns.|
|E. Discuss with your counselor why reading food labels is important. Explain how to identify common allergens such as peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, wheat, soy, and shellfish.|
A. Explain the most likely hazards you may encounter
|Explain to your counselor about the dangers you are most likely to encounter when participating in cooking activities and what you must do to anticipate, help prevent, reduce and respond to these hazards.|
Below are the 3 most usual cooking-related risks. Yearly, numerous thousands of Americans are confessed to healthcare facilities on account of these 3 illnesses and also injuries. When working with your cooking merit badge, understand these hazards and also stay risk-free.
Foodborne health problems are one of the most likely threat you’ll come across when cooking and can create acid indigestion, diarrhea, vomiting, and also a hospital stay.
You will not be able to tell visually whether food has gone bad, there are a few policies you can follow to help stop this risk from taking place:
- Always wash your hands and utensils before cooking.
- Use all ingredients before the expiration date.
- Don’t consume anything that smells funny.
- If you believe an ingredient may have gone bad, throw it out. It isn’t worth the risk.
- Use separate cutting boards for raw meats and vegetable products.
- Avoid consuming any animal products that are not thoroughly cooked.
- Clean stoves and countertops with a washed rag immediately after use.
- Keep all of your cooking supplies and surfaces free of food residue.
By adhering to these fundamental health and wellness guidelines, you’ll significantly lower threats of food or microbial poisoning. Nonetheless, if you do get sick after taking in poor food, recognize that you should feel better within 2 days.
In the meantime, drink lots of liquids and electrolytes. Look for medical focus if your problem does not boost.
Unexpected poisoning is another typical danger when cooking. Be very careful what you’re contributing to food, particularly when using aerosol cooking sprays.
The most effective means to decrease the risk of accidental poisoning is to maintain cleansing and also cooking supplies in different rooms. All poisonous substances and also pesticides should be away from the cooking area.
Right away call 911 if you or somebody you know has actually been infected. In non-urgent cases (no symptoms) you can likewise call the poisonous substance control number: 1-800-222-1222.
Signs and symptoms of chemical poisoning might consist of nausea, throwing up, trouble breathing, abdominal pain, or uncommon skin color.
A lot of instances of chemical poisoning from food are not deadly if dealt with swiftly (below 1%), so immediately call medical attention as well as comfortably describe the target and the circumstance’s signs.
When waiting for an ambulance, gather information on the toxin (bottle, labels, product packaging) for the clinical group. Do not try to induce throwing up in the sufferer.
Oil as well as grease can cause kitchen floors to become slippery. When a cook is bordered by hot ranges, blades, and glasses, this comes to be specifically hazardous. To avoid slides, keep your kitchen area flooring clean and also dry.
Relocate very carefully, as well as put on footwear with reputable rubber grasps whenever possible.
Loss can be mild or extreme, depending upon the situation. Always try to eliminate the sufferer from the threat of further harm, and snuff out any type of open fires that could spread out.
After those 2 risks are reduced, give care to the victim. When treating a fall, look for concussions, broken bones, as well as general disorientation.
B. Show that you know first aid
|Show that you know first aid and how to prevent injuries or illnesses that can occur when preparing food and eating, including burns and burns, wounds, choking, and allergic reactions.|
Burns and Scalds
In the cooking area, burns are often triggered by contact with warm things such as warmed steel, electrical resources, or open flames.
Scalds are burns that are triggered by wet-heat, such as boiling fluids or steam. To treat most types of kitchen associated scalds or burns:
- Get rid of the person from additional damage, and also prevent any type of fires from spreading.
- Run the melt under lukewarm water for 10 to 20 mins. Never make use of ice or cold water, as this could trigger extra damages.
- Allow the burn to dry, after that lightly cover it with a clean layer of plastic wrap.
- Make sure the patient remains warm with a blanket, but do not touch the burned area.
- Painkillers such as ibuprofen can be made use of to deal with pain in the following days.
However, some serious burns will require emergency medical treatment. Call 911 if the burn is:
- Blistered and at least the size of the victim’s hand.
- White in color, or has charred the skin.
- Caused by either a chemical or electrical source.
- Causing the victim enormous pain.
To decrease the likelihood of burns, you should:
- Keep stoves turned off when not in use.
- Turn any pot/pan handles towards the back of the stove to avoid snagging on clothing.
- Keep your stove and oven clean and free of grease to prevent flare-ups.
- Avoid wearing loose clothing when cooking.
When dealing with knives, workout extreme caution to stay clear of any unintended cuts.
If a person cuts themselves as well as is bleeding, you should make certain they run out more danger, after that function to limit their loss of blood. After initial calling 911, execute the adhering to 5 steps:
- Clean the wound: Ideally, remove any type of dirt or particles from the injury to prevent infection. Do not take out anything embedded in the injury as this might cause much more bleeding.
- Apply steady pressure to the wound: Utilizing a sterile fabric or bandage, press into the injury with a steady pressure to stop the blood loss.
- Immobilize the wound: If blood soaks through the compress, do not remove it. Location one more plaster over the initial, and also proceed using stress. Eventually, the blood ought to clot and also the bleeding must slow.
- Elevate the wound: By elevating the injury over the level of the heart, gravity aids to stop the blood circulation. Lay the victim down as well as have them increase the injury as high as possible.
- Assist the victim until help arrives: Once their wound has actually been treated, your task is to maintain the victim as comfortable as possible until emergency situation clinical personnel shows up. Guarantee that they are not also warm or as well chilly, and talk with them to maintain them calm.
If someone is badly bleeding, skip to tip 2 as well as right away apply pressure to the injury. Once the blood leaks via the initial plaster, place another bandage over it and also remain to use stress.
Your goal must be to have the injury clot to the plaster. This will decrease blood loss and give the target with the very best chance at survival.
To lower your threat of unintentional cuts or lacerations:
- Always use a sharp knife. Plain blades require more stress to reduce things and increase your likelihood of slipping.
- Constantly cut over a cutting board. Do not hold things in your hand while cutting them.
- When holding ingredients to cut, do not maintain your fingers extended. Curl your fingers right into a loose fist to ensure that any kind of blunders will not create you to lose a finger.
- Prevent putting warm glass right into the water, as it could ruin.
- Beware opening metal containers, as lids can be sharp.
Choking occurs when an object comes to be lodged in a victim’s windpipe and obstructs its airflow. If the person that’s choking is still able to cough, weakly breathe, or talk, motivate them to cough up the item.
|To respond to a choking emergency situation, imagine an upper body as a bag of air. You’re basically trying to abruptly press that air out of the victim’s windpipe. The quick ruptured of air pressure will remove the choking danger and also allow the victim to take a breath.|
Nonetheless, if a choking sufferer can not speak, cough, or take a breath, you’ll need to take prompt action. To react to a choking emergency situation, do the Heimlich maneuver:
- Ask the victim if they’re choking. If they can not react, proceed to tip two. Utilize your hand to hit the top of their back if they’re able to weakly take a breath and react. This will certainly help them to cough as well as dislodge the item.
- Support behind the person and let them understand you will help.
- Make a fist with one hand and also place that clenched fist on the person’s abdominal area (right above their tummy button). Get to around the choking individual and order your shut hand.
- Quickly pull your arms inwards and upwards in one sharp movement. This must force air up as well as out their windpipe. Repeat this motion up until a thing flies from their mouth.
- Check if they have the ability to breathe. Proceed the Heimlich maneuver until they are able to breathe on their own if they still have objects in their windpipe preventing air circulation.
- If the target loses consciousness, advise someone else to call 911. Continue working to get rid of the individual’s air passage.
Below are a few points to maintain in mind to avoid choking emergencies in the future. Consuming too promptly or not chewing your food will greatly increase your chance of choking. If you discover yourself choking, try to keep calm and motion to your throat.
To do the Heimlich maneuver on yourself: Lean over a rounded item or chair. Placement the head of the item into your abdomen, and lower forcefully. Rearrange after every 3 strikes to push the most air possible out your windpipe. Repeat until the item is displaced.
Allergies prevail. Concerning 1 in 15 United States homeowners are allergic to some kind of food.
When consuming the food they are allergic to, additionally called an irritant, an individual with allergies may experience a variety of negative symptoms, including itching, swelling, as well as even loss of breath.
Anaphylactic reactions are one of the extra dangerous signs and symptoms of allergies and create instant swelling in the neck as well as the face.
This often leads to problem breathing and can prove deadly if left neglected. A lot of individuals with severe allergies bring an EpiPen.
An EpiPen can combat the majority of the impacts of an allergic reaction. To use an EpiPen, eliminate the security cap and press the needle into the target’s upper leg.
Note that the result of an EpiPen is momentary as well as the person needs to still rapidly obtain medical attention. Much more on allergies in area 1d.
C. Explain how to prevent cross-contamination
|Describe how meat, fish, chicken, eggs, dairy products, and fresh vegetables should be stored, transported, and properly prepared for cooking. Explain how to prevent cross-contamination.|
When kept at cozy temperature levels for too long, Food ends up being hazardous. Illness-causing germs tend to expand faster in supermarkets in temperature levels over 40 ° F.
As a basic rule, it’s finest to make sure foods are saved and also transported at the same or colder temperatures that they were kept in at the shop.
Maintain refrigerated or iced up till use, as well as the cook to the required temperature level to eliminate any usual microorganisms. Below are the FDA storage and prep work standards for numerous kinds of food when prepared over direct heat:
- Red meats and also pork: Cook, till the facility gets to 160 ° F., Can be saved in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Chicken: Cook to an interior temperature of 165 ° F. Chicken can just be stored in the refrigerator for approximately a couple of days, and also is just one of the fastest meats to spoil.
- Fish: Otherwise clearly sushi-grade, cook to an internal temperature level of 145 ° F. Fish can be stored up to 3 days in a fridge.
- Eggs: Prepare until no longer drippy. Raw eggs in their coverings can normally last around 4 weeks in the refrigerator. To evaluate if an egg is ruined, simply put it right into a deep dish of water. If it floats, it’s gone bad and the microbial gases have made it buoyant.
- Dairy products: There are many different kinds of milk items. As a general rule, take in by the best-by date. Throw it out if there is a solid sour smell, or if there are any kind of noticeable indications of discoloration or mold and mildew.
- Fresh vegetables: Clean all fresh veggies as well as fruits extensively before use. Some can be left on your kitchen counter, most vegetables and fruits ought to be stored in the fridge.
Cross Contamination happens when one food is inadvertently combined with another. For instance, if you are reducing meat on a reducing board and after that reduced veggies on that particular same board, you risk of polluting your vegetables.
This may mean that although you’ve appropriately cooked your meat, the juices on your veggies might still make you ill.
To prevent cross-contamination, constantly clean your blades and reducing boards when preparing various sorts of food.
Shop different foods individually, as well as tidy any type of spilled juices quickly. Doing so will certainly raise your food safety, and lower the possibility of any type of health problem.
D. Discuss with your counselor food allergies
|Discuss with your counselor food allergies, food intolerance, and food-related illnesses and diseases. Explain why someone who handles or prepares food needs to be aware of these concerns.|
Food allergies can be fatal, as well as will certainly commonly cause swelling in the sufferer’s extremities or air passages which could lead to suffocation.
Just a percentage of the allergen can result in a serious response, so exercise severe caution when cooking for people with allergic reactions. Review food tags, different active ingredients, and also stay clear of cross-contaminating food.
Food intolerances are less serious than allergic reactions, however, they can still trigger substantial pain and inflammation. When a person can not appropriately digest the food, intolerances happen.
Typical intolerances consist of lactose and gluten (generally discovered in dairy and also wheat). If a private with an intolerance take in these foods, they will likely experience bloating, looseness of the bowels, bowel irregularity, gas, frustrations, or itching.
Several of one of the most typical food-related illness are E. coli and botulism. These conditions happen in foods that have actually been maintained for as well long, or in problems that are as well cozy.
They are triggered by the development of germs. Symptoms consist of pains, high temperatures, throwing up, and also pain, but will certainly vary based on the type of condition that one agreement. To avoid food-related illness:
- Avoid consuming raw or undercooked foods, especially meats.
- wash your hands before eating or preparing food.
- Avoid consuming food from damaged packaging.
- Avoid drinking unclean water, or water that has been sitting for more than a few days.
- Wash all produce before consumption.
- Keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold.
Among the most severe symptoms of food-related health problems is dehydration. Consume a lot of fluids with electrolytes if you do acquire a food-related illness, as well as don’t hesitate to look for medical attention if your condition falls short to boost within 2 days.
When preparing food, you’re completely responsible for the safety and security of the people you’re feeding.
See to it that you’ve complied with all food safety procedures, as well as examine that those you’re cooking for don’t have intolerances or allergic reactions. By reducing feasible risks, you’ll have the ability to keep your household risk-free and also well-fed.
E. Discuss with your counselor why reading food labels is important
|Discuss with your counselor why reading food labels is important. Explain how to identify common allergens such as nuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, wheat, soybeans, and shellfish.|
Food labels can give valuable information such as the food offering size, macronutrient information, as well as active ingredients.
By reading food tags, you’ll have a far better idea of what you’re putting into your body, and be able to make much healthier choices. Check out this quick video clip showing you exactly how to make use of as well as understand food labels:
Along with offering you useful information regarding a food’s dietary value, tags can additionally be handy when preparing food for an individual with allergic reactions as well as can determine possible allergens.
Prior to cooking for a team, be sure to ask for each participant’s nutritional choices, as well as if they have any type of allergic reactions.
The allergens: peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, soy, wheat, as well as shellfish cause around 90% of all food-allergic reactions in the United States.
The bottom of many food labels gives an allergic reaction caution for typical allergens that can create a response. By checking out food labels, you’ll decrease your chances of setting off an allergy and also come to be a more educated consumer.
Also Read: Eagle Required Merit Badges
2. Nutrition, do the following
|A. Using the MyPlate food guide or the current USDA nutrition model, give five examples for EACH of the following food groups, the recommended number of daily servings, and the recommended serving size: Fruits, Vegetables, Grains, Proteins, Dairy|
|B. Explain why you should limit your intake of oils and sugars.|
|C. Determine your daily level of activity and your caloric need based on your activity level. Then, based on the MyPlate food guide, discuss with your counselor an appropriate meal plan for yourself for one day.|
|D. Discuss your current eating habits with your counselor and what you can do to eat healthier, based on the MyPlate food guide.|
|E. Discuss the following food label terms: calorie, fat, saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, sodium, carbohydrate, dietary fiber, sugar, protein. Explain how to calculate total carbohydrates and nutritional values for two servings, based on the serving size specified on the label.|
A. Using the MyPlate food guide or the current USDA nutrition model
|Using the MyPlate food guide or the current USDA nutrition model, give five examples for EACH of the following food groups, the recommended number of daily servings, and the recommended serving size:|
Fruits: Examples of fruits include apples, pears, bananas, strawberries, grapes. For boys and girls between the ages of 14 and 18, it’s recommended that you consume 1 1/2 to 2 cups of fruits per day.
This is usually done in three servings that are each 1/2 cup. A single banana or apple is roughly equal to one cup of fruit.
Vegetables: Examples of vegetables include broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, peas, and celery. You should eat as wide a variety of vegetable colors as possible.
For boys and girls between the ages of 14 and 18, it’s recommended to consume 2 1/2 to 3 cups of vegetables per day. About 12 baby carrots, one ear of corn, or three spears of broccoli will equal a cup of vegetables.
Grains: Examples of grains include rice, bread, oatmeal, tortillas, or quinoa. It’s recommended that boys and girls between 14 and 18 years old consume 6 and 8 ounces of grains per day, respectively.
An ounce of grains can take the form of a regular slice of bread, five whole wheat crackers, or one packet of oatmeal.
Proteins: Examples of proteins include meats, poultry, eggs, nuts, and beans. It’s recommended that girls ages 14-18 consume 5 ounces of proteins per day, whereas boys 14-18 consume 6 1/2 ounces of proteins per day.
An ounce of protein can take the form of a small chicken breast, one can of tuna or one cup of lentil soup.
Dairy: Examples of foods containing dairy include milk, yogurt, cheese, soy milk, and creams. It’s recommended that both boys and girls 14-18 years old consume 3 cups of dairy.
There’s actually been some recent research done that indicates people shouldn’t be consuming too much dairy. Do your own research, and avoid consuming dairy that’s high in saturated fats and sugars.
B. Explain why you should limit your intake of oils and sugars
Sugars and also oils are high in calories, yet offer little nutritional value. You need to limit your consumption of these types of foods, as overconsumption of sugar is linked to fast weight gain and weight problems.
Moreover, too much sugar usage will eventually trigger diabetic issues, which is incurable as well as creates your body to work improperly.
Saturated-fat oils are linked to adverse wellness problems such as cardiovascular disease and hypertension. By overconsuming fats, sugars, as well as oils, over time your arteries will begin to block, and also you’ll be faced with serious health issues.
Given that your body often tends to crave the foods that you eat commonly, stay clear of binging on fatty or sweet foods.
Do not let on your own obtain accustomed to eating sweet or oily foods, and you’ll have the ability to much more easily preserve a healthy lifestyle for many years ahead.
C. Determine your daily level of activity and your caloric need
|Determine your daily level of activity and your caloric need based on your activity level. Then, based on the MyPlate food guide, discuss with your counselor an appropriate meal plan for yourself for one day.|
With your mom’s and dad’s permission, input your weight, age, height, and exercise information right into the Freedieting.com calorie calculator (no login called for). The outcomes will first show you your body’s daily advised caloric requirements.
Right listed below your results need to be a section that claims, “See dish prepare for.” Click that, and also you’ll find appropriate 1-day dish strategies as well as foods for your advised calorie consumption.
You can likewise take the number representing your daily caloric needs and Google “(your number) calorie 1-day dish plans” to find various other useful meal referrals.
D. Discuss your current eating habits with your counselor
|Discuss your current eating habits with your counselor and what you can do to eat healthier, based on the MyPlate food guide.|
I do not recognize you directly, however, I’m thinking that you eat a lot more sugar than you should. Don’t worry, I do too:P. For this demand, analyze the foods that you eat regularly for lunch, supper, and also morning meal.
Watch out for the sugars, fats, and fabricated active ingredients that you may be consuming excessive of.
For most scouts, a healthier diet regimen would likely indicate eating more vegetables and fruits. Eating fewer carbohydrates as well as sugars, and more plant-based healthy proteins will typically lead to better overall health and wellness.
In the next area, we’ll be going over the elements that compose your food, in addition to the sorts of ingredients you need to restrict or stay clear of eating.
E. Discuss the following food label terms
|Discuss the following food label terms: calorie, fat, saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, sodium, carbohydrate, dietary fiber, sugar, protein. Explain how to calculate total carbohydrates and nutritional values for two servings, based on the serving size specified on the label.|
I have actually rearranged the order of terms to make these concepts much easier to understand. Don’t worry, they’re all there! Review each of the factors first, and afterward complete your merit badge worksheet. I promise you’ll learn more by doing this.
|Calorie: A calorie is a unit determining how much energy an amount of food will offer to your body. Almost all food has calories. On a food label, the calories provided show the number of calories you’ll be eating in one offering. Medically talking, a calorie is energy required to raise the temperature of 1 kilogram of water by 1 ° C.|
|Fat: Lipids/fats are among the three basic macronutrients (Fats, carbohydrates, and healthy proteins) and play an essential function in preserving a healthy and balanced diet plan. |
Nevertheless, consuming fats frequently can cause excessive weight together with other health problems. Eat less fatty foods, as lipids consist of even more calories per gram than either proteins or carbs. We’ll be talking more regarding fats in just a bit.
|Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates (additionally called carbs) are additionally among your body’s 3 vital macronutrients, and also can be discovered in starches, sugars, and also fibers. Lots of people take in carbohydrates as their major resource of fuel. Common sources of carbohydrates include bread, vegetables, grains, as well as whole fruits.|
Not all carbohydrates are created equal. There are two kinds of carbs: refined (likewise called basic) carbohydrates and also entire (also called facility) carbs. Entire carbs are good for your body and consist of unrefined foods like veggies, wild rice, and entire grains.
On the other hand, refined carbohydrates are bad for you. Full of added sugars and missing out on crucial vitamins, bad carbs are usually less expensive however provide little dietary worth. Instances of negative carbohydrates consist of sodas, pastries, ice cream, in addition to a lot of junk foods you ‘d locate in the supermarket.
|Protein: Protein is the last as well as the third macronutrient that composes a balanced diet plan. Your body uses proteins to repair body cells as well as construct muscle mass. Your healthy proteins additionally launch enzymes, hormones, as well as other chemicals that support a healthy way of living.|
By consuming foods that are rich in healthy proteins, you’ll be able to repair your body as well as develop muscle mass after a lengthy day of Scouting tasks. The first-rate proteins come from lean food resources such as fish, fowl, beans, and also plants.
Taking in refined protein sources such as bacon, sausages, as well as inexpensive red meats can enhance your chances of heart problem. To pick the most effective sources of protein, search for foods that are low in fats as well as high in micronutrients and fiber.
|Cholesterol: The next few sections are all about fat. Cholesterol is a fat compound that creates vitamin D, hormones, and other beneficial substances in your body. However, eating fatty foods can cause high cholesterol which of course will cause clogged arteries as well as various other severe medical problems.|
You have two types of cholesterol: HDL and LDL. These represent high-density lipoproteins and low-density lipoproteins. All you need to remember is that HDL is very good, while LDL causes clogged arteries and is bad.
Fatty foods such as eggs, beans, avocados, and fish contain high HDL and an excellent source of fat for consumption. Foods such as butter, animal fats, and cakes contain high LDL and should be avoided. We will discuss in more detail about various types of fat in just a little.
|Saturated fat: Saturated fats are one of the worst sorts of fats to eat. Overconsumption of hydrogenated fats has been linked to boosted cholesterol, greater risks of cancer, and heart problems. Some foods that are high in saturated fat consist of entire milk and also fatty cuts of red meat.|
|Trans fat: Attempt to stay clear of consuming trans fats. Not just do trans fats increase your LDL cholesterol, yet they likewise decrease your ‘good’ HDL cholesterol. This can considerably increase your risk of heart problem.|
Trans fats have ended up being much less typical after the FDA recommended outlawing these fats in processed foods. Be careful of frozen foods, as well as french fries as well as rapid foods, as these have been located to contain trans fats along with other undesirable fats.
|Dietary Fiber: Fiber assists you defecate! Just seeing to it you were still listening. However seriously, dietary fiber is a vital part of a healthy and balanced diet plan. By consuming fiber daily, you’ll have routine defecation. This, consequently, will certainly lower your danger of colon cancer cells and also assist healthy and balanced cholesterol degrees.|
|Sodium: Sodium is mainly located in salt, as well as is an essential part of your daily diet regimen. Eating also much salt can lead to high blood stress. Attempt to eat your nutritional referral of salt, as well as avoid refined foods as they commonly have much more sugars as well as salts.|
|Sugar: Do not dislike me for stating this, yet sugar is actually negative for you. Seriously. While sugars can be discovered normally in many foods, a lot of what we consume today additionally consists of large amounts of added sugars.|
The problem with sugars is that they’re high in calories but provide no added nutrients. In addition to making you fat, consuming sugars too often can decrease your overall energy. With time, this will certainly result in much more severe conditions like diabetes mellitus and heart disease.
|Explain how to calculate total carbohydrates and nutritional values for two servings, based on the serving size specified on the label.|
- The serving size, listed at the top of the box, says that one serving equals 56 grams.
- The total carbohydrates per serving are listed below sodium and above protein. There are 41 grams of carbohydrates per serving.
- On the far right-hand side of the total carbohydrate section, the food label says that 41 g of carbohydrates is 14% of the total carbs you should consume each day.
- If you decide to eat two servings, multiply all of the nutritional values by two.
- In two servings, your total carbohydrates would be 82 grams and represent 28% of your daily carb intake.
Also Read: Personal Fitness Merit Badge
3. Cooking Basics, do the following
|A. Discuss EACH of the following cooking methods. For each one, describe the equipment needed, how temperature control is maintained, and name at least one food that can be cooked using that method: baking, boiling, broiling, pan frying, simmering, steaming, microwaving, grilling, foil cooking, and use of a Dutch oven.|
|B. Discuss the benefits of using a camp stove on an outing vs. a charcoal or wood fire.|
|C. Describe with your counselor how to manage your time when preparing a meal so components for each course are ready to serve at the same time.|
A. Discuss each of the following cooking methods
- Overview: Baking includes using straight, dry heat to cook food. Normally, you would certainly maintain your dish in a tray and then position it into a stove for an established size of time.
- Equipment needed: Food is typically baked, either covered or uncovered, within a preheated oven. You’ll normally place the food on a tray or meal to bake, yet you can also leave it on the cord oven shelves.
- How temperature is maintained: An oven will certainly warm to a set temperature making use of steel home heating coils. Make sure that your oven has had the moment to reach your preferred temperature before placing any food inside. When a stove’s doors are opened, warm will get away rapidly. Resist the urge to open your stove door after putting the food within.
- Example dish: People usually cook potatoes, covered dishes, or brownies in the oven.
- Overview: Boiling starchy foods, such as rice as well as pasta, in water, helps them to break and also soften down. At sea level, water boils when its temperature level reaches 212 ° F.
- Equipment needed: At the minimum, you’ll need a tool to a large pot, water, a stirring utensil, and also a resource of heat. A pot lid will certainly also assist the water to boil quicker.
- How temperature is maintained: Whether you’re utilizing a cooktop or a fire, the pot will be heated from all-time low, ultimately bringing the water to a boil. When you drop in the food to be boiled, the water temperature level will instantly reduce, yet swiftly climb again.
- Example dish: Eggs, pasta, or starchy veggies like asparagus are just a few instances of foods that can be prepared by boiling.
- Overview: By putting a dish on the leading rack of your stove as well as turning on the above burner, you’ll be able to ‘broil’ it. Broiling chefs food at high and direct heats, which is great for caramelizing sugar or toasting bread.
- Equipment needed: Comparable to baking, all you’ll need is a frying pan, an oven, and also some oven mitts.
- How temperature is maintained: The dish is cooked by a steel burner affixed to the roof covering of the oven. Broiling is typically done at 500 ° F. Really few recipes are broiled for greater than a minute.
- Example dish: Fish and steaks are sometimes broiled, however, the high heat will damage natural herbs and also can cause points to easily melt. I’ve placed meals covered in cheese under the broiler to melt and produce a wonderful crust.
- Overview: Food is prepared on a steel frying pan positioned above a straight heat resource. When pan-frying, you will not be able to swiftly cook for huge groups, as your frying pan can usually only hold a few parts.
- Equipment needed: You’ll need a pan, a heat source, as well as a spatula. Some pan-fried meals also make use of oil, which will certainly help to maintain your food from sticking.
- How temperature is maintained: Frying pan temperature levels can be maintained by adjusting the oven, or by relocating the food to warmer locations of the pan. A slim layer of oil will certainly likewise aid to distribute warmth as well as permit your food to prepare more uniformly.
- Example dish: Scrambled and also bright side up eggs are pan-fried. Foods that are sautéed are also taken into consideration pan-fried.
- Overview: Simmering is like boiling, but is performed in water that is a little listed below 212 ° F. The factor of simmering is to enable sauces to break down and also for flavors to blend together.
- Equipment needed: To simmer a recipe, all you’ll require is a warm source, a pot, as well as a spoon. Stay clear of using a lid, while simmering, so that the water does not totally boil.
- How temperature is maintained: When getting water to simmer, initially turn the burner to high. Once the water begins to steam, transform the warmth to low. In a couple of seconds, the boiling water will certainly subside into a light simmer.
- Example dish: Many soups and sauces are simmered for a very long time at low heat. This helps veggies and also meats to soften and also break down.
- Overview: You can heavy steam food by positioning it above boiling water as well as letting it chef in the warm vapors. This helps active ingredients to retain their minerals and vitamins which would or else leach into the water if steamed.
- Equipment needed: There are various tools utilized when steaming, such as steamer baskets as well as specialized covers. At the very least, you’ll require a pot, boiling water, as well as a porous tray to hold the food being steamed. A lid aids foods to be steamed faster.
- How temperature is maintained: Given that water boils at a constant temperature level, the steam’s warmth will likewise stay the very same. All you need to do is keep water warm sufficient to steam.
- Example dish: Buns, dumplings, and also veggies are just a few of the many sorts of foods that are typically steamed.
- Overview: Placing food right into a microwave creates the water molecules in the food to shake. This, consequently, produces warmth and chefs your food. In case you were questioning, microwave radiation is 100% risk-free.
- Equipment needed: To microwave food, you’ll need a microwave, a source of electrical power, and also a microwave-safe recipe to position your food on. FYI, you can not microwave steel and also some kinds of plastics, as they tend to cause fires.
- How temperature is maintained: As long as the microwave is running, the water particles in your food will certainly continue to warm up. This can cause overcooking, so take care of just how much time you add.
- Example dish: Almost all leftovers can be microwaved. In addition, there are numerous TV dinner-type meals that are made to be prepared by microwaving oven. High-fat foods tend not to microwave well.
- Overview: Food is grilled by using direct heat by its surface. The majority of typically, the food is placed on a cord grid over an open fire or hot coals.
- Equipment needed: To grill, you’ll need a cable grid to sustain your food, a fire, and also some method to hold the grid above the fires. You’ll additionally need tongs or a spatula to turn your food, as well as a brush to clean the grill when you have actually finished.
- How temperature is maintained: Food can be grilled either on an open fire or above cinders. Regardless, you’ll require to start a fire and also bring it to a steady heat before putting any type of food on your cord grid. If you’re making use of wood, see to it that all of the saps have actually melted away before cooking your food over the smoke.
- Example dish: Hamburgers, vegetables, skewers, and hotdogs are all instances of foods generally prepared by barbecuing. Enjoyable truth: The distinction in between grilling as well as barbecuing is that barbecuing has the lid positioned over the food, permitting the heat ahead from all sides.
- Overview: Foil cooking is a simple way to prepare top quality food while outdoor camping. Simply wrap your active ingredients in foil, securing the bundle so it’s airtight, and area it under hot coals to cook.
- Equipment needed: To cook with foil, you’ll need some durable aluminum foil, a warmth resource, as well as a pair of tongs. Aluminum foil cooking can be performed in an oven however is best matched for cooking a tasty meal around a campfire.
- How temperature is maintained: You’ll wish to position your foil package in a bed of cinders. Hot coals cool down slowly, which will aid your meal to prepare uniformly. If you’re cooking with aluminum foil in a stove, set it to the desired temperature and also leave it alone.
- Example dish: Shrimp, poultry, tomatoes, as well as potatoes are simply a few of the many components that can enter into an aluminum foil cooked hobo pack! These foil-wrapped hobo packs are scrumptious and were just one of my preferred parts of Scouting.
- Overview: Dutch ovens are hefty and also huge pots that can be positioned straight onto a warm resource. They’re commonly constructed from cast iron as well as are fantastic for cooking a selection of recipes, specifically on a campout.
- Equipment needed: To cook food with a Dutch oven, you’ll require a Dutch stove! You’ll also need a device like pliers to lift the cover off, along with a warm resource like coals to preserve a steady temperature level.
- How temperature is maintained: When camping, Dutch stoves can be placed over hot coals or smoldering firewood. Considering that the steel around a dutch oven is thick, it will maintain a consistent warmth while cooking. You can also put coals on the cover of a Dutch to guarantee the top of your dish is cooked.
- Example dish: Cobblers, soups, stews, as well as covered dishes, are simply a couple of instances of meals that you can make in a Dutch stove. In my troop, Dutch ovens were the main part of camp cooking. When cooking for a patrol, nothing else cooking tool compares to the quality of very easy food that you’ll have the ability to make by using a Dutch stove.
B. Discuss the benefits of using a camp stove on an outing vs wood fire
Camp ranges as well as open fires are two techniques you can make use of to prepare food while on a campout. In the table listed below, I’ll be contrasting the benefits of using a camp cooktop on an outing, versus starting a fire.
|Camp Stoves||Charcoal/Wood Fire|
|1. Practical.||1. Enjoyable!|
|2. Quick to set up and begin cooking a meal.||2. Takes some time to light and start cooking.|
|3. Avoids open flames that could harm the campground.||3. May damages the camping area if made beyond a fire pit.|
|4. When made use of by knowledgeable scouts, very safe.||4. It can be unsafe, also for skilled scouts.|
|5. Able to be started in virtually all weather conditions.||5. It cannot be started in problems that are as well gusty or wet.|
|6. When cooking, Easy to control warm.||6. Hard to regulate heat while cooking.|
|7. Permitted on mostly all camping sites and tracks.||7. It can only be made in assigned areas.|
Personally, I assume that both open fires and camp stoves have their area in scout campouts. Stoves are reliable tools for rapidly cooking meals, as well as are especially valuable when pressed for time.
Discharges need to just be lit in designated fire pits, however, they are wonderful for cooking imaginative meals and also aiding scouts to bond.
C. Describe how to manage your time when preparing a meal
|Describe with your counselor how to manage your time when preparing a meal so components for each course are ready to serve at the same time.|
To manage your time when preparing a meal, you’ll first require to think through how much time each element will require to prepare. Beginning the components with longer cooking times initially.
Wait until the meal is almost all set to prepare the cozy, quick-cooking ingredients. When being served, this will make sure that the dish is warm as well as fresh.
If you’re preparing a hamburger and also potatoes, you’ll want to begin the potatoes before any type of other elements so that they have time to completely cook.
In this way, your burger will certainly end up cooking around the exact same time that your potatoes come out. None of your recipes will certainly be consumed chilly!
4. Cooking at Home Using the MyPlate food guide
|Using the MyPlate food guide or the current USDA nutrition model, plan a menu for three full days of meals (three breakfasts, three lunches, and three dinners) plus one dessert. |
Your menu should include enough to feed yourself and at least one adult, keeping in mind any special needs (such as food allergies) and how you kept your foods safe and free from cross-contamination. List the equipment and utensils needed to prepare and serve these meals.
Then do the following:
|A. Create a shopping list for your meals showing the amount of food needed to prepare and serve each meal, and the cost for each meal.|
|B. Share and discuss your meal plan and shopping list with your counselor.|
|C. Using at least five of the 10 cooking methods from requirement 3, prepare and serve yourself and at least one adult (parent, family member, guardian, or other responsible adult) one breakfast, one lunch, one dinner, and one dessert from the meals you planned.|
|D. Time your cooking to have each meal ready to serve at the proper time. Have an adult verify the preparation of the meal to your counselor.|
|E. After each meal, ask a person you served to evaluate the meal on presentation and taste, then evaluate your own meal. Discuss what you learned with your counselor, including any adjustments that could have improved or enhanced your meals. Tell how better planning and preparation help ensure a successful meal.|
Utilizing the expertise that you have actually learned in this overview, develop a healthy meal strategy to adhere to throughout three days.
For motivation, I would certainly Google ‘ three-day dish plans’ to see if any kind of recipe leaps out at you. Write out your three-day meal strategy and use this listing to finish the following demands.
To make this need easier, I would certainly advise talking to your parents about actually following your meal plan for the next three days.
That way, you’ll understand the price of the ingredients, you’ll be able to prepare the meals, as well as you’ll have your family members’ assistance in finishing the meals.
A. Create a shopping list for your meals
|Create a shopping list for your meals showing the amount of food needed to prepare and serve each meal, and the cost for each meal|
You can find the approximated cost of your meals by looking at each active ingredient in Amazon.com.
Generally, many supermarket products will certainly be provided, so add every little thing you require to the on-line purchasing cart basket. Amazon will inform you of the overall cost of your checklist.
Discuss your checklist as well as its expenses with your counselor. Was it basically pricey than you expected? Does your meal strategy cover your dietary needs? What is this a tougher requirement to finish than expected?
C. Using at least five of the 10 cooking methods
|Using at least five of the 10 cooking methods from requirement 3, prepare and serve yourself and at least one adult (parent, family member, guardian, or other responsible adult) one breakfast, one lunch, one dinner, and one dessert from the meals you planned.|
Now it’s time to obtain cooking! The most convenient methods to demonstrate will likely be:
- Baking (casserole)
- Broiling (melt cheese on casserole at the end)
- Boiling (boil eggs/veggies)
- Pan-frying (fry eggs/sausage)
- Microwaving (cook leftovers)
D. Have an adult verify the preparation of the meal to your counselor
|Time your cooking to have each meal ready to serve at the proper time. Have an adult verify the preparation of the meal to your counselor.|
E. Ask a person you served to evaluate the meal you
|After each meal, ask a person you served to evaluate the meal on presentation and taste, then evaluate your own meal. Discuss what you learned with your counselor, including any adjustments that could have improved or enhanced your meals. Tell how better planning and preparation help ensure a successful meal.|
Ask for feedback as well as consider what you can improve on next time when you have actually made the dishes. An excellent idea when cooking is to taste your food throughout its prep work. Add flavors like salt as well as pepper accordingly.
Preparation and also prep work are essential to cooking successful meals. By making certain you have all the components ahead of time, understanding how much time points will require to cook, and also preparing your most time-consuming components first, your cooking abilities will quickly boost.
5. Camp Cooking, do the following
|A. Using the MyPlate food guide or the current USDA nutrition model, plan a menu for your patrol (or a similar size group of up to eight youth, including you) for a camping trip. Your menu should include enough food for each person, keeping in mind any special needs (such as food allergies) and how you keep your foods safe and free from cross-contamination. These five meals must include at least one breakfast, one lunch, one dinner, and at least one snack OR one dessert. List the equipment and utensils needed to prepare and serve these meals.|
|B. Create a shopping list for your meals showing the amount of food needed to prepare and serve each meal, and the cost for each meal.|
|C. Share and discuss your meal plan and shopping list with your counselor.|
|D. In the outdoors, using your menu plan for this requirement, cook two of the five meals you planned using either a lightweight stove or a low-impact fire. Use a different cooking method from requirement 3 for each meal. You must also cook a third meal using either a Dutch oven OR a foil pack OR kabobs. Serve all of these meals to your patrol or a group of youth.|
|E. In the outdoors, prepare a dessert OR a snack and serve it to your patrol or a group of youth.|
|F. After each meal, have those you served evaluate the meal on presentation and taste, and then evaluate your own meal. Discuss what you learned with your counselor, including any adjustments that could have improved or enhanced your meals. Tell how planning and preparation help ensure successful outdoor cooking.|
|G. Explain to your counselor how you cleaned the equipment, utensils, and the cooking site thoroughly after each meal. Explain how you properly disposed of dishwater and of all garbage.|
|H. Discuss how you followed the Outdoor Code and no-trace principles when preparing your meals.|
Before beginning on needs 5 and also 6, watch this useful video clip (4:06) to obtain some quick suggestions for outdoor cooking.
F. After each meal, have those you served to evaluate the meal
|After each meal, have those you served to evaluate the meal on presentation and taste, and then evaluate your own meal. Discuss what you learned with your counselor, including any adjustments that could have improved or enhanced your meals. Tell how planning and preparation help ensure successful outdoor cooking.|
Your troop must have a typical method of preparing meals on each campout. Talk with your patrol leader as well as ask to be in charge of the camp food selection during an upcoming camp.
See to it to prepare a meal using either a Dutch oven, aluminum foil packs, or kebabs. If you don’t have a Dutch stove, I would certainly suggest making aluminum foil pack vegetables or hobo loads!
For more info on intending camp meals, look into my ultimate overview of the Outdoor camping merit badge!
G. Explain how you cleaned the equipment
|Explain to your counselor how you cleaned the equipment, utensils, and the cooking site thoroughly after each meal. Explain how you properly disposed of dishwater and of all garbage.|
Some bottom lines to cover when speaking to your merit badge counselor could consist of how you:
- Prevented hiding or leaving food waste (this attracts pets).
- Appropriately sanitized cooking utensils.
- Wiped down large cooking tools.
- Kept the campsite without food waste as well as cleaning chemicals.
- Didn’t squander excessive water.
To dispose of dishwater and also waste, according to the main BSA site, you ought to:
|Strain dishwater through a small strainer or bandana. Put the food particles in a sealable plastic bag and pack them out. Spread the strained dishwater over a wide area at least 200 feet from the nearest water source, campsite, or trail. Scattering dishwater in a sunny area will cause the water to evaporate quickly, causing minimal impact.|
Dispose of the strained food waste in a sealed trash bag. Throw this bag, in addition to any other trash, you may have, in an assigned dumpster after you have actually gotten here back from the camp.
H. Discuss how you followed the Outdoor Code and no-trace principles
|Discuss how you followed the Outdoor Code and the principles without a trace when preparing your meal|
To summarize, here are the Leave No Trace concepts and also Outdoor Code:
|The 7 Leave No Trace Principles|
|1. Plan ahead and prepare.|
|2. Travel and camp on durable surfaces.|
|3. Dispose of waste properly.|
|4. Leave what you find.|
|5. Minimize campfire impacts.|
|6. Respect wildlife.|
|7. Be considerate of other visitors.|
|The Outdoor Code|
|As an American, I will do my best to –|
Be clean in my outdoor manners.
Be careful with fire.
Be considerate in the outdoors.
Be conservation minded.
Some of the bottom lines you could cover after complying with these standards consist of:
- Avoiding harming the camping site with open flames.
- Maintaining food waste had by securing it in the trash can.
- Avoiding food waste by intending effectively.
- Making sure that the cooking did not draw in wild animals by straining and also packing out food waste.
6. Trail and backpacking meals
|Do the following:|
|A. Using the MyPlate food guide or the current USDA nutrition model, plan a menu for trail hiking or backpacking that includes one breakfast, one lunch, one dinner, and one snack. These meals must not require refrigeration and are to be consumed by three to five people (including you). Be sure to keep in mind any special needs (such as food allergies) and how you will keep your foods safe and free from cross-contamination. List the equipment and utensils needed to prepare and serve these meals.|
|B. Create a shopping list for your meals, showing the amount of food needed to prepare and serve each meal, and the cost for each meal.|
|C. Share and discuss your meal plan and shopping list with your counselor. Your plan must include how to repackage foods for your hike or backpacking trip to eliminate as much bulk, weight, and garbage as possible.|
|D. While on a trail hike or backpacking trip, prepare and serve two meals and a snack from the menu planned for this requirement. At least one of those meals must be cooked over a fire, or an approved trail stove (with proper supervision).|
|E. After each meal, have those you served evaluate the meal on presentation and taste, then evaluate your own meal. Discuss what you learned with your counselor, including any adjustments that could have improved or enhanced your meals. Tell how planning and preparation help ensure successful trail hiking or backpacking meals.|
|F. Discuss how you followed the Outdoor Code and no-trace principles during your outing. Explain to your counselor how you cleaned any equipment, utensils, and the cooking site after each meal. Explain how you properly disposed of any dishwater and packed out all garbage.|
Backpacking dishes are a little bit more difficult to plan as well as prepare than camping dishes. Make certain to load light as well as stay clear of foods that need to be chilled.
You’ll probably require to bring a little, portable camp oven, yet you can also escape making an open fire if problems enable.
If we’re being entirely sensible right here, backpacking meals possibly won’t drop under your normal MyPlate health and wellness guidelines.
You can do your finest to have as nourishing a dish as possible. Below’s some healthy as well as light-weight components that I ‘d advise for backpacking:
- Oatmeal packages.
- Route mix with a lot of nuts.
- Powdered eggs.
- Fresh or dried fruit.
- Granola bars.
- Carrot sticks.
- Hard cheese.
- Dry salami.
- Packaged tuna/salmon.
- Hot dogs.
- Instant noodles.
- Dried out veggies.
- Instant potatoes.
Make certain to avoid leaving any food scraps in the wild. A fantastic way to filter dishwater after washing your mess package is by poking a few little holes in a plastic bag, filling the bag with some brush, and after that pouring the dishwater via the bag.
This will certainly remove for any food bits. Later, tie off the top of the bag and also pack it out.
|Find out about three career opportunities in cooking. Select one and find out the education, training, and experience required for this profession. Discuss this with your counselor, and explain why this profession might interest you.|
There are various kinds of chefs, but they all have one thing in common they’re wonderful at cooking food. Many top-level cooks participate in school as well as are informed in the culinary arts.
Afterward, chefs gain experience by working in dining establishments as well as cooking different sorts of foods.
The highest-paid chefs are called ‘executive chefs’. These individuals develop their very own dishes and lead teams of chefs in elegant dining establishments.
For many to make it as a cook, they’ll require to obtain years of cooking area experience, functioning their means up from being a line chef.
B. Restaurant Manager
Restaurant managers make certain that all of the various parts of a dining establishment are running smoothly. They’re commonly in charge of upholding food top quality, handling personnel, providing the cooking area, and preserving wellness standards.
Considering that every dining establishment is different, dining establishment supervisors might require to do more or less based on the range of their role.
To become a restaurant manager many people will require years of experience working in a restaurant, as well as a university degree based in operations.
C. Food Scientist
Food scientists assist in a research study, establish, as well as improve the foods that you see on your supermarket racks.
There are several sorts of food researchers, however, they all need to comprehend proper nutrition and also recognize federal government food policies.
To come to be a food scientist, you’ll normally require a minimum of a bachelor’s level in a relevant stem field.
Congratulations! Ending up the Cooking merit badge is no tiny feat. Currently you’re one step closer to gaining the rank of Eagle Scout!
I hope you located my overview valuable, as well as up until next time, I want to want you the best of luck in your Scouting trip!